Work continued to secure the future of flood stricken bridge, with James Jack 25Te city crane, installing blocks for diversion of water for construction works to get underway.
Part of Invercauld Bridge collapsed on the A93 as a result of flooding caused by Storm Frank and was out of use. The bridge was left teetering on the brink of destruction after devastating surging water swept along Royal Deeside. Workmen from Aberdeenshire Council also started work at the bridge in a bid to get village life in Braemar back on track.
Invercauld bridge was built in 1859 as the final part of the new turnpike road along the north bank of the Dee, away from Balmoral. It is wider than the older bridge, still able to carry a modern S2 road, and built a little upstream, around a slight bend, which provided a better angle for the carriageway.
Consisting of 5 equal spans, there are 3 arches across the river channel, including two piers in the riverbed and then an additional, smaller, flood arch on either bank, which seem to be regularly used as fishermens access. The bridge is clad in rough ‘rustic’ stonework, with slightly projecting cutwaters and a smooth ashlar cornice at deck level. It is believed that the architect may have been the same William Smith who worked on Balmoral itself. The bridge was paid for by Prince Albert.